PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Transformed Hutch


I picked up this hutch from Craigslist for $12, that's what it was advertised as, not $10, not $15 a whole 12 bucks.  Great right?  Except it wasn't too long before I was thinking $12 may have been too much.  Ya know when sometimes free can be too much.  It was pretty broken, the doors were definitely unusable and I couldn't get it in my head how I would fix it.  

So my husband had to come to the rescue.  He actually explained what I should do, but in the end he had to just get out there and do it, well I removed all the doors, then he had to removed middle piece of glass, and wood in between the bottom cupboards.  Then we filled and sanded and filled and sanded.  

We removed the back, it was also damaged, and got some bead board and stained it.  I painted it black, distressed it, put the original handles back on, and added the iron brackets (my moms idea) don't they just make it?

In the end I think it made quite a transformation, you can hardly recognize it, right?
Here it is before...


Here it is at the Cottage


  

By the way I'm using some of the pieces we broke off to make chalkboards and stencil words on, yeah I'm the ultimate recycler, Lol.

Thanks so much for stoppin'

                                                                                     Katie

21 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Wow! That turned out beautifully, Katie! It looks like a totally different piece. I love the way you fixed it up. The brackets are wonderful ~ love the way they look. Great makeover!

Faye said...

Great Post!!
Love Ya, Mom

Of Wool and Loveliness said...

It looks fabulous. You did a great job. What paint did you use?

Unknown said...

We have a paint recycling place here in Portland & we get a lot of our paint from them. It's their soft black, a satin finish.
Thanks, Faye

Debra@CommonGround said...

really amazing transformation, love the color, and it's totally updated, great job!!

One Shabby Old House said...

Wow that is an amazing transformation. I will never ever again walk by a hutch like. I love the iron on it too. Such a nice touch!

Celestina Marie said...

What an amazing transformation. I love it. the bead board is such an awesome detail. Great treasures on it too.
Hugs, Celestina Marie Design

Barbwire Pretty said...

Beautiful transformation, it would be so nice if others who chuck their hutches or sell them for next to nothing could see your wonderful idea. Talk about up cycling!
Bernice

Sheila said...

This is truly one of the most awesome transformations I have seen and I've seen a lot. Great job on every part!!!

Ann said...

Had to look twice at before and after pictures....hard to believe it is the same piece. Wonderfully creative and the best use of a furniture with good bones...now updated. Thanks for sharing. Very inspiring.

Unknown said...

This has to be one of the most gorgeous transformations of a hutch that I've ever seen - I'm with Ann above - I had to keep going back to look at the before shot!
Those decorative pieces you put in the corners are over the top beautiful - really I'm more in love with this than I can tell you!
Pinning it now!
XOX

Unknown said...

Your awesome Suzan, thanks so much!

andi filante said...

Oh. My. Goodness. This is simply incredible! I love absolutely everything you did with this piece! New follower!!!

-andi

Jayne said...

This is unbelievable!!! I would never in a million years think this was the same piece, wow!!!!! Gorgeous!

foreverdecorating said...

Wow, talk about amazing. This transformation by just painting without doors is fantastic!

Unknown said...

This is fantastic! Really amazing transformation and just incredibly beautiful! I love the stained bead board. And, yes, those brackets too. Also i love what you decorated it with! Wow! I will be a follower now. :)

Jocie@TheBetterHalf said...

so so pretty katie! i love the stained bead board on the back! :)
Thanks so much for linking up to support habitat. Good luck and hope to see you back next week!

Christy James said...

Followed you from Miss Mustard Seed...I definitely know what you mean when you say sometime free is too much. Sometimes picking something up immediately feels like a burden. This was so worth it though because you made it look incredible! Huge difference!
XO,
Christy

FashionDivaMama said...

Never pass up good (used) furniture that has solid bones! Older furniture (even from the 60 & 70's are made so much better than what's out there now. It's amazing what good old black, or white paint will do to a piece!

Deenababie said...

Although years late to this party, I am curious to know what products, brands & shades were used. The colors are very pleasing!! Hope you see this in 2021 and answer so I don’t need to go slightly insane wondering for the rest of my life. It has inspired me to re-do mine which looks similar. Thanks in advance and hope you get my humor. Just GORGEOUS!!

Unknown said...

She said she used black and distressed it. But I too am wondering how she chose to distress since the black is fairly light.

Post a Comment