PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, January 25, 2013

Kitchen Cabinets Makeover

This is that BIG project I was talking about, Yeah, kitchen cabinets.  I know It's not like the first kitchen cabinets ever painted by a housewife, but this was pretty major for me.

What a project it was though, it really did take over my life for about two weeks, and I still can't believe we did it.  I mean it's not like you can say "oh well if I mess it up I'll just paint over it"
kind of thing.

First I'll introduce you to Sunday and her husband Chris, so I'm not saying my friend and her husband through the whole post. 

Sunday talked for months about me painting her kitchen cabinets. I was able to waive it off for a few months, but she just wouldn't take no for an answer, so after a lot of persuasion, and promises of dinner for my family every night(I know right).  I pretty much moved in and painted her cabinets.

I'll quit going on and on and just get to the pics, that's what it's really all about anyway, right.
So here's the before...typical honey oak cabinets with pretty much no character, other than that it's a pretty adorable kitchen even before.

here are the naked cabinets...Chris and Sunday removed all the cabinet doors...

and I painted them in the garage

They also sanded and Chris added trim to the cabinets and drawers to make them look like panelled doors, if you notice in the before pic the original doors have rounded edges, so he had to fill all the edges with wood filler, allot of work I'm sure, but I think it made all the difference.

He also added bead board to the sides of the cabinets and peninsula

An applique on the faux drawer in front of the sink

we primed with a good paintable tinted primer

She wanted two toned with the bottom cabinets black and the top cream, (Pinterest inspired of course)...and so drum roll please here is the final result...

The shiny new fridge doesn't hurt.

She added new silver handles also.

We also painted the inside of her pantry door with chalkboard paint, just keepin it organized...



This kind of project is not for the faint of heart, it was almost two straight weeks for me about six hours a day, but that is only the painting, Chris and Sunday did all the prep, first emptying the cabinets, moving the appliances, removing the doors, sanding, all the extras and trim.  I think it was about a month without a kitchen for them. 

All in all it was actually pretty fun, but part of me just knows they are sitting at home going "what are we gonna do now we can't just replace them all".

 I also have to mention she made me and my family dinner every night I was there, (I wish I had taken pictures of that) I know that was almost worth it on it's own, Thank You Sunday!

All the paint and materials were purchased from Miller Paint in Oregon City, I don't think they are everywhere, but if you have one near you, they have the best quality paint, we get most of our paint at the cottage from them.  (and no I'm not being compensated, they just have great products).


                                                                       Katie




16 comments:

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I love posts about painting kitchen cabinets. It is always such a huge improvement! You did a wonderful job, looks fantastic!

Unknown said...

This was a HUGE project, You did a GREAT job.
Great post too.

Unknown said...

I don't think you signed your post. This was done by my daughter KATIE. Such a good worker!

Wanda said...

Bee u ti full results Great job all around.TTFN

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Wowza ~ What a gorgeous kitchen makeover. Love the black and white combo. I'm featuring it in the PoPP Spotlight this weekend. Thanks for joining the party.

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Amazing transformation! I love the two tone look. They must be reeeally good friends. I know how much work that is. I totally repainted and framed all my cabinet doors by myself a couple years ago and it took me 6 weeks!

I'd love it if you linked this to my new linky party, "What We've Accomplished Wednesdays." It will be live at 6:00 p.m. eastern time tonight.

Have a great weekend!
Deborah

Anonymous said...

Very classy! I am in awe of the work that went into transforming those cabinets. We have the same exact cabinets. We considered framing them out just like this. In the end we opted for new cabinets. My husband and I were scared off by the amount of time it would have taken. You achieved a beautiful end result. Well done!
Veronica

Unknown said...

I love the light on top/dark on bottom!! Beadboard is a good idea too. I have to "redo" my cabinets in the house we moved into in October. I have dark paint that I want to do the chalkboard thing on the pantry door. Yours is the perfect solution! In fact, the paint color I have picked out is almost the same!

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful! Were you able to cover the oak grain, or are you ok with it showing through?

Bobs Furniture said...

Really Nice job! Your kitchen looks gorgeous, I love the color scheme! You have made an awesome transformation. Looks great!

Bobs Furniture | Bob's Discount Furniture

Flor said...

I love it! Can you give more details on how you added the trim over the rounded edges?

Unknown said...

I love how your kitchen looks now, Katie! :) The black and cream combination of the cabinets are an improvement to the previous honey oak. It wasn't really bad, but I felt it was monotonous, and this new look adds some oomph to your kitchen. Also, it's really admirable how much effort you put into this paint job. If it was me, I wouldn't have lifted a finger. Haha!

Arthur Bryant @ ContractorExpress.com

Debra McDonald said...

I have a question ... My husband is building our tiny house while we are living here! I was thinking of going with white high gloss for the outside of the upper cabinets and I didnt want doors. I was going to paint the inside of the cabinets a deep purple called Black Raspberry. Should I paint the entire inside of these cabinets the same or just the part viewable? Also, I love the Tiffany blue inside if these! Do you think the dark will be overwhelming?

Poulin Design Center said...

Just found your site and I love it! and Your kitchen cabinet makeover is so lovely and amazing.

Kitchen Cabinet Santa Fe

North East Factory Direct said...

Your kitchen cabinets is absolutely stunning! You did an amazing job.

Cleveland Kitchen Cabinets


Furniture Store Denver said...

This kitchen and cabinet is absolutely fabulous!! Love everything about it.

Kitchen Cabinets Parker

Post a Comment